Once the transaction fails, it is Locked to the card originally used to place the bid. This means any new card added by the Bidder after a card has failed will not be visible to the Administrators.
You have 2 options when a Credit Card fails. FAQ's are noted at the bottom.
In order to choose a different card the Bidder has on file on their account, email@example.com will make this switch for you. Please do not include screenshots in your email. To switch the card, please email us with the following information:
- Name of the Organization and Auction Name
- Name of Winner(s) and Item type information. Example: Ticket vs Item
- Last 4 digits of failed card(s)
- Last 4 digits of the new card the bidder(s) wishes to use
Once we make the switch for you, you will see the new card waiting to be charged
under Close Out > Close Your Auction > Process payments.
Please note: BFG support cannot process Credit Cards for you.
If the Bidder has not yet added a new card: Ask the bidder to add another Credit Card to their Bidder Account. Send them the Instructions Included Here to add a Card.
If the Bidder is willing to give you the full Card Information:
Note: We suggest only doing this in Person or on the Phone.
1.) First, Reopen the Purchase under Close Out > Close Your Auction > Process Payments.
- Next to the winner's name, click on the View Purchases link.
- To reopen an individual item, click on the Reopen button next to the item
- To reopen the entire purchase, click on Reopen All next to the total at the bottom of the winner's purchase
2.) Enter the Card Information:
- Go to Close Out > Close Your Auction > Award Items.
- You will want to select "Payment and Email Details" under the winners name and choose the option to "Add Credit Card".
- Then click "Add a Credit Card to this Bidder" right below the view all bidders button.
3.) Choose the new Card and Process:
- Navigate to Close Out > Close Your Auction > Award Items.
- Then, select the new card you just added under "Payment and Email Details" below the winners name under select payment.
- Once the new card is chosen, choose "Award" which will move the transaction to
Close Out > Close Your Auction > Process Payments, where you can process the newly added card.
How do I contact the Bidder?
To contact the Bidder, Please see the Reports > Registered Users Report OR Close out > Manage Bidders. This will list their contact information for you to reach out to them.
What If A Bidders Card Fails Repeatedly?
Bidders whose cards fail repeatedly could be potentially blocked from the card holder. Credit card Companies have gotten very strict on security and could be blocking the purchase. If the Card repeatedly fails, have the Bidder reach out to their Card Company/Bank to allow the payment processor you are using (Stripe, Greater Giving, Iats) to go through.
You can also reach out to your Payment Processor to have them investigate the reason for the card failure. They can usually advise you why the card has failed.