Often when there is formatting on columns in an Excel spreadsheet (.xls or .xlsx file format), GiftWorks cannot read the formatting, and it can cause issues or errors to the import results.
For example, this happens when a column your spreadsheet has zip code formatting. Zip codes beginning with any digits other than "0" can be imported successfully. However the formatting causes GiftWorks to drop the "0" if it starts the zip code on the left.
To correct this issue:
- Open your Excel spreadsheet.
- Clear any formatting on your zip code column.
- Next, apply formatting to the zip code column, making it a text field. This will allow GiftWorks to simply read the values and import them as they are written.
- Note- clearing the formatting will likely drop the "0" on the left starting the zip code, leaving only four digits. After changing the column to a text field, you will need to edit any lacking zip codes and retype the "0" so the zip code is correct, with five digits.
- Save your spreadsheet, and then try your import again.