The first step to the import process is to select a file to import. GiftWorks can import the following file types:
- Microsoft Excel file (.xls, .xlsx)
- Comma Separated Value (.csv)
- Text Files (.txt)
When importing information into GiftWorks, there are a number of things to consider.
- If you are importing constituents, you will need to include a column for Profile Type in your source file. The acceptable value in the profile type field are: Individual, Household, or Company.
- If you are importing from an Excel file, be sure to note which worksheet contains your import data.
After you select your import file, GiftWorks will require you to confirm to options:
- Column Headings - use this option to confirm whether or not the first row of your import file contains the names of the fields that you’re importing or whether or not the first row contains data you want to import.
- Import Add/Update - when importing data, GiftWorks needs to know how you want to handle importing data that may or may not already exist in GiftWorks.
- If a matching record is found, update it and if an existing record is not found, add a new record. This option is best used for when you know you have existing matching records in GiftWorks but you also have new records.
These are new records. If an existing matching record is found, don't update it and skip the row. Use this option when you know you have all new information and want to be sure that you don’t update any information already in GiftWorks.
- These are updates to existing records. If a matching record is not found, don't add a new record. Use this option if you fully expect every row in your import file should already be contained in GiftWorks.
Click the Next button when you are ready to proceed to the next step.